Jiaru Lin is currently a Global Packaging Designer at Tom Ford Beauty, which is one of the fastest growing prestige beauty brands in the world that reached more than $500 million dollars in sales in 2017. Before Tom Ford, Ms. Lin had worked with 25 brands and 15 of them were high-end clients, such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Coach, ZARA, Anna Sui, Oscar de la Renta etc. Since 2014, more than 133 of her projects have been released into the market and 1,500 more articles have mentioned Ms. Lin work. Her design could be seen on mainstream medias like Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Elle, New York Times, and Forbes. Jiaru is originally from Taiwan, but obtained an M.S. degree in Packaging Design at Pratt Institute, New York. She has since been working on packaging design, graphic design, and digital design project. Based on her expertise and experiences in working with luxury brands, Ms. Lin was offered and immediately hired for a full-time position at Tom Ford beauty by Estée Lauder in 2016. Estée Lauder is America’s largest corporate beauty company, is headquartered on Fifth Avenue, New York City, and is the third largest beauty cooperates in the world. At Tom Ford, Jiaru worked closely with her packaging design director, Shawn Lovejoy. The design team worked on cosmetics, fragrances, skincare, and gifting designs, which they reported directly to the brand’s second-in-command SVP, Lara Modjeski and Tom Ford himself. Once the design was approved and produced, it was distributed to more than thousands of retail stores globally.
From 2010 to 2018, Ms. Lin won a total of 12 awards, seven of which were internationally recognized. In 2018, she won one of the highest design honors, the IF International Design Award, also known as the “Design Oscar” based in Germany. Only the top 2% of designers were awarded and the project had a total of 6,402 entries from competitors in 70 countries. China Press highlighted her eco-friendly D’One Donut packaging project, which were among recipients from Apple, Microsoft, Google, Samsung, and Amazon companies. La Vie and WeChatalso did an exclusive interview with Jiaru’s project. In addition, she is one of the 4% of designers to have won a gold prize from Indigo Design Awards based in Netherlands. Not to mention, Ms. Lin also won a silver award from an Italian based competition called A’Design. She stood out among the highly competitive 35,559 participant project and was the part of the top 3% to receive the honor. World Design Rankings (WDR) ranked her as the 118th best designer in the world for the 2018-2019 ranking, and the 78th best designer in the USA during 2017.
Jiaru was the first person to directly use 3D pop-up book engineering in packaging design. This concept was presented in her graduate Thesis “LUXEPOP: The Joy of Opening Packages—Mechanical Connection Between Packaging Design and Moveable Books, M.S. Pratt Institute 2014,” which incorporated five paper mechanisms into five packaging designs. Her craft and project was so exceptional that it eventually led her to be renowned by the Adobe Design Awards and many additional brands. Her pop-up packaging design has been applied to luxury gifting and press kits. For example, Tom Ford press kits have been designed for and used by celebrities and influencers such as Beyoncé, Kim Kardashion, and Anna Wintour. In addition to Jiaru’s movable packaging concept, Jiaru wants to bring awareness to eco-friendly designs. She feels it is essential to take responsibility for the environment, and that there is much more to being green. From her own personal project to luxury brands, she aims at using sustainable materials and a highly effective production process to lead in the design industry.
1. Tom Ford Beauty(Estée Lauder), 3D Global Packaging Designer, February 2017 - Present, New York, USA Makeup, Skincare, Fragrance, and Gifting.
2. Inter Parfums, Art Director/Senior Packaging Designer, Oct 2016 - Dec 2016, New York, USA Clients: Abercrombie& Fitch, Anna Sui, Bebe, Cynthia Rowley, Fcuk, and Oscar de la Renta
3. Baron&Baron, Packaging Designer, Jul 2014 - Mar and 2015 Marh 2016 - Sep 2016, New York, USA Clients: Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Coach, Zara, Comme Des Garçons, Puma, David Yurman, Diana Vreeland, Maison Dauphin, Maison Margiela, Nars, Nails Inc., Pat Mcgrath, Revlon, Stuart Weitzman
4. Wook + Flavio Gallery, Director/Curator, Mar 2015 - Mar 2016, New York, USA Administrative tasks between New York and Milan, including sales, valuations, and office arrangements. The gallery houses the largest collection of Futurist works in the world. Dealed with art from Lucio Fontana, Dadamaino, Giuseppe Amadio to New York Artists Angiola Churchill and Paulien Lethen.
5. Oogie Haus, Senior Designer/Instructor, March 2015 - March 2016, New York, USA Branding and website design. Guild students in variety of media(drawing, painting, sculpture, mixed media), and art portfolio direction to art collage and art awards. Students under guidance accepted in Carnegie Mellon, Cooper Union, Harvard University, Parsons School of Design, Pratt Institute, School of Visual Arts, and Central St. Martins in 2015.
6. Pratt Institute, Teacher Assistant, Master's Degree Packaging for Graphic I, Spring Semester 2014, New York, USA
7. National Palace Museum, Designer, Department of Painting and Calligraphy, 2010 - 2011, Taipei City, Taiwan
M.S. Packaging/Communications Design, Pratt Institute, 2014, New York, USAB.F.A. Communications Design, Fu Jen University, 2010, Taipei, Taiwan
ADC Art Directors Club, New York, USAADC Type Directors Club, New York, USAAIGA American Institute of Graphic Arts, New York, USAGraphis, New York, USAPhi Tau Phi Scholastic Honor Society, Taipei, Taiwan
© 2019 Jiaru Lin. All Rights Reserved.